Friday, November 30, 2007

Acceptance For Who We Are



By Nasra Al Adawi

Being A Women of Color does not imply a tag of ethnic or certain race. I as one I have gone through of journey of discoveries I should have loved both side of who I am. I can only explain it that growingn as an interracial child is not easy. There are days I wished I looked more Arab and there were days I wished my skin would have been darker. My visit to Tanzania in 2006 on a mission to meet women with breast cancer taught me many other lessons about myself. I'm African and it is so sad that I have missed learning about my African heritage. I have missed knowing what it Africa is all about. Now with my father gone I'm trying to retrieve how was his life as an African man who was born in Zanzibar in which he had rich heritage of another African Island called Comoro Island…

I remember when I went to visit women in the hosipital they really glowed in their own natural color, I realized I did miss that. I use to worry about my skin tone as it was not as my mother who is originally Omani. My hair was not good enough for me, it was afro but it was not coarse hair, I was so dissatisfied of what God had gave me, so I splashed myself with hair straighterner and now when I decided to stop, having been living in chemical so so long. My hair without straightener is impossible to manage, I could hardly comb it. I realized what I have done to me. I decided I would no longer splash myself in makeup, be as natural as I can be. As for my afro hair is long story, I failed to keep it afro, being bold was not appealing either. I'm still looking for ways to get my natural hair back, I just don’t want to be straightening my hair on a lifetime basis.

I regret that I did not take the opportunity to try writing my father letters in Swahili, I would been now writing poetry in Swahili and all I'm able to do is just converse in Swahili. I would have made my dad proud of me, instead of complaining about receiving letters written in Swahili, I should taken at least an attempt to try learning on my own. Yet the journey of learning is endless so I have to put my learning hat and be ready to seek knowledge, as fountain of knowledge is open for those who seek it.

I recently realized that I'm beautiful the way I am and I have to keep reminding myself that to accept the person I am. For I was born as this, take me as I am with all my flaws.

6 comments:

Linda Jones Malonson said...

Nasra,
It is good to accept one self as you are --- for all women, no matter who are Colored.

However, being a dark skinned color woman has a lot more challenges attached to the label, which is our skin color. Talking about a paradox.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous post!!! As a proud woman of color, I'm loving this!!

Sa Lone Pikin

Erroline said...

Hi, Nasra. As I did with Amias, please consider this an invitation for you to visit my website that I created to help bring women of Afrikan (Black) descent together to network their businesses with one another. You will find Divas who can help you solve your hair dilemmas that will make you happy again about yourself and your hair. We are called Divas On The Prowl. Our website address is http://www.divasontheprowl.com

Take care.

DaDiva/CEO/Founder

Batulo said...

Salam

Wow what can I say..it is so beautiful initativies you take Nasra.

It is hard time for sisters with dark colour to stay natural and avoid all that chemicals which are destroying their hair and body. It is hard to love and be glad for who you are. I hope people like you will stand and will be role models..

I also recomende you to read Amina Mire's report "Pigmentation and Empire" http://www.counterpunch.org/mire07282005.html

bye

MsReyah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MsReyah said...

salam,

its a beautiful article..mashallah..keep up the good work..